Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Stuck

This time of year can be particularly challenging trying to fly and work on the West Coast of B.C..  The rain, fog, wind and lack of daylight can really start to wear on you.  Tofino has created a whole new form of tourism based on 'Storm Watching.' I'm trying to hold back my sarcasm as I spend a second uninvited day in camp waiting for said storm to pass.  I'm tired of watching it.

If you're one of those people that can't stand to see the sight of tree being cut down, then the last two days have been good days for you.  Very few trees have died from un-natural causes on this project lately.  We have been forced to while away the hours with idle chain saws and a mostly idle helicopter sitting on the deck soaking in the rain, sleet and hail.  The float plane that was supposed to come and pick me up to take me home has also sat idle in Port Hardy waiting for the hurricane force winds to pass.  My new Macbook loaded with Skype has been my savior this week.  I have spent hours sitting with the digital video images of my family keeping in touch daily with school, homework and playdates. It helps to quell the pangs of loneliness but it's just not the same.

Tofino can keep the storms. Nothing beats a beautiful, clear winter day with fresh snow and calm winds. Come get me Mr. Floatplane Driver...I'm ready to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment