Sunday, September 13, 2009

Terry Fox Run

We ran the Terry Fox Run on Gabriola today.  It is by no means a 'big' event on this little island but it's a nice event.  We put all three kids in the strollers and pushed our way through the 10k course.  Terry Fox deserves much more mention than a simple blog post to say, "we did it" but that's what time allows for tonight.  He was certainly one of my earliest memories as being a hero for me.  I can vividly remember running around the playground with my friend Jeremy in elementary school playing Terry Fox. We were extremely proud to be wearing the same Adidas running shoes that Terry wore.  I even used to come home from school and use a little scrub brush and Mr. Clean to keep the whites white on those shoes.  He did a lot for a lot of people and his legacy continues.  We have been touched by cancer in our family I imagine it has touched your family too.  When we tucked the kids into bed tonight we told them they should be very proud because they ran for a good cause today and we raised a little bit of money to help cancer research.  They seemed to understand and feel proud. Which was in itself a journey from this morning when I had to explain not just that Terry wouldn't be at the run but that he had died and what he had died from.  Kids are so innocent and I hope the next time they see Grandma they remember to ask to see her scars.

Thanks to everyone who ran today and everyone who donates to cancer research.

No comments:

Post a Comment